The impact of suicide can affect everyone in the community. Every life lost to suicide matters and represents someone's child, partner, parent, friend or co-worker. Across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland everyone can make a contribution to prevent suicide.
Start a Conversation is a suicide prevention campaign that aims to build a community that is committed to the mental health and wellbeing of its residents. A non-judging environment where care and support is available to those in distress or those bereaved or affected by suicide. Through a raised awareness and open and honest conversations about suicide we believe that every person has the potential to make a difference and save a life.
The campaign is led by Leicestershire County Council working in partnership with a number of organisations, from a variety of sectors from the community, that have come together with a commitment to prevent suicide. The partnership includes:
- Leicestershire County Council
- Leicester City Council
- Rutland County Council
- Blaby District Council
- Charnwood Borough Council
- Harborough District Council
- Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council
- Melton Borough Council
- North West Leicestershire District Council
- Oadby and Wigston Borough Council
- Leicestershire Police (including Office of police and crime commissioner)
- Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service
- East Midland Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- West Leicestershire CCG
- East Leicestershire and Rutland CCG
- NHS Leicester City CCG
- University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
- Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust
- Rural Community Council
- Turning Point
- Public Health England (represents Leicestershire prisons and Leicestershire Probation services).
Through our #StartAConversation campaign we would like residents and communities across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland to be more aware of the warning signs of suicidal behaviour and to have an open and honest approach to conversations about suicide. In this way we can work together to prevent suicide.
Our campaign aims to make it okay to start a conversation about suicide and we want to:
- remove the stigma and myths that surround suicide
- make sure people in distress have access to the help, advice and support they need
- provide help, advice and support to those who have been bereaved or affected by suicide
- provide information and advice on ways to improve mental health and wellbeing
- raise awareness of suicide across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland
Pledge to Start a Conversation
We encourage you to pledge your support for the Start a Conversation campaign so that we can work together as a community to prevent suicide.
With individuals and organisations championing emotional health and wellbeing we aim to make it okay to start a conversation about suicide and dispel the myths that surround it.
Get involved and pledge your support.
If you'd like more information on our campaign please contact us by:
If you're feeling down and need to contact someone - get help now.